Welcome to Physical Ecology Educational and Research Resource Page. (Please email updates and additions to Joe Ackerman)
Physical Ecology-Related Books
- Denny, M.W. 1988. Biology and Mechanics of the Wave-Swept Environment. Princeton University Press.
- Denny, M.W. 1993. Air and water: the biology and physics of life’s media. Princeton University Press.
- Fung, Y. C. 1990. Biomechanics: motion, flow, stress, and growth. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Gordon, J.E. 1978. Structures. Da Capo Press.
- Lighthill, M.J. Sir. 1975. Mathematical Biofluiddynamics. SIAM.
- Mann, K.H. and J.R.N. Lazier. 1991. Dynamics of Marine Ecosystems. Blackwell Science.
- Okubo, A. 1980. Diffusion and Ecological Problems. Springer Verlag.
- Pennycuick, C.J. 1992. Newton Rules Biology. Oxford University Press.
- Rayner, J.M.V. and R.J. Wootton. 1991. Biomechanics in evolution. Cambridge University Press.
- Vogel, S. 1988. Life’s Devices. Princeton University Press.
- Vogel, S. 1994. Life in Moving Fluids, 2nd Ed. Princeton University Press.
- Vogel S. 1998. Cats’ Paws and Catapults. W.W. Norton.
- Wainwright, P.C. and S.M. Reilly. 1994. Ecological Morphology. University of Chicago Press.
- Wainwright, S.A. 1988. Axis and circumference: the cylindrical shape of plants & animals. Harvard University Press.
- Wainwright, S.A., W.D. Biggs, J.D. Currey, and J.M. Gosline. 1982. Mechanical Design in Organisms. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- Wootton, R.J. and Jeremy M. Rayner 1997. Biomechanics in Evolution. Cambridge University Press.
- Givnish, T. J. 1986. On the Economy of Plant Form and Function. Cambridge.
- Niklas, K.J. 1992. Plant Biomechanics. University of Chicago Press.
- Romberg, J.A. Z. Hejnowicz, and J.F. Hill. 1993. Plant structure : function and development. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Properties of Materials
- Gordon, J.E. The New Science of Strong Materials. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- Vincent, J. F. V. 1992. Biomechanics–materials: a practical approach. Oxford University Press.
- Vincent, J. 1990. Structural Biomaterials. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
On Shape and Form
- Brown, J.H. 1995. Macroecology. University of Chicago Press.
- McMahon, T.A. and J.T. Bonner. 1983. On Size and Life. Scientific American.
- Niklas, K.J. 1994. Plant Allometry. University of Chicago Press.
- Peters, R.H. 1983. The Ecological Implications of Body Size. Cambridge University Press..
- Russel, E.S. 1992. Form and Function. University of Chicago Press.
- Schmidt-Nielson, K. 1984. Scaling. Cambridge University Press.
- Thompson, D.A. 1966. On Growth and Form. Cambridge University Press.
- Alexander, R. McNeill. 1988. Elastic mechanisms in animal movement. Cambridge University Press.
- Alexander, R. McNeill. 1992. Exploring biomechanics : animals in motion. W.H. Freeman.
- Alexander, R. McNeill. 1992. Mechanics of animal locomotion. Springer-Verlag.
- Alexander, R. McNeill and G. Goldspink. 1977. Mechanics and Energetic of Animal Locomotion. Academic Press.
- Blake, R.W. 1983. Fish Locomotion. Cambridge.
- Jorgensen, C.B. 1990. Bivalve Filter Feeding. Olson & Olson.
- McMahon, T.A. 1984. Muscles, Reflexes, and Locomotion. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- Sammarco, P. and M. Heron (editors). 1994. The Biophysics of Marine Larval Dispersal. American Geophysical Union. Washington, DC.
- Trueman, E.R. 1975. The Locomotion of Soft-Bodied Animals. Elsevier.
- Wells, M. 1968. Lower Animals. McGraw-Hill, NY.
- Wildish, D. and D. Kristmanson. 1997. Benthic Suspension Feeders and Flow. Cambridge University Press.
Fluid Transport and Mixing
- Bascom, W. 1980. Waves and Beaches, Revised Updated and Enlarged. Anchor Press.
- Batchelor, G.K. 1967. An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics. Cambridge University Press.
- Chow, V.T. 1959. Open-Channel Hydraulics. McGraw-Hill.
- Fischer, H.B., E.J. List, R.C.Y. Koh, J. Imberger, and N.H. Brooks. 1979. Mixing in Inland and Coastal Waters. Academic Press.
- Hemond, H.F. and E.J. Fechner. 1994. Chemical Fate and Transport in the Environment. Academic Press.
- Imberger, J. 1998. Physical Processes in Lakes and Oceans. AGU.
- Monteith, J.L. and M.H. Unsworth 1990. Principles of Environmental Physics. Edward Arnold.
- Schlichting, H. 1979. Boundary-Layer Theory. McGraw-Hill.
- Tritton, D.J. 1977. Physical Fluid Dynamics. Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Van Dyke. 1982. An Album of Fluid Motion. Parabolic Press.
- White, F.M. 1994. Fluid Mechanics, 3rd Edition. McGraw-Hill
Please forward your suggestions for Physical Ecology-related books to Joe Ackerman
Physical Ecology-Related Journals:At present there is no single location where Physical Ecology-related research is published. There are, however, a large number of journals where Physical Ecology-related publications can be found included in the following list:
- American Journal of Botany
- American Naturalist
- American Zoologist
- Annals of Botany
- Biological Bulletin
- Functional Ecology
- Journal of Experimental Biology
- Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology
- Journal of Theoretical Biology
- Limnology and Oceanography
- Marine Biology
- Marine Ecology Progress Series
- Scientific American
- Trends in Ecology and Evolution
Please forward your suggestions for Physical Ecology-related journals to
Physical Ecology-Related Bibiliographies
- Abiotic Pollination (Compiled by Joe Ackerman, UG)
- Flow in Aquatic Plant Canopies (Compiled by Joe Ackerman, UG)
- Flow Visualization and Measurement (Compiled by Stephen Braimah, LSU)
- Locomotion on the Water Surface (Compiled by Rober Suter, Vassar)
- Mechanics of Lakes (Compiled by Craig Stevens, NIWA, Wellington, NZ)
- Marine Biology References (Maintained by Jeff Levinton, SUNY Stony Brook)
- Sensory Ecology (Compiled by Paul Moore, Bowling Green State)
- Stream Benthic Ecology (Compiled by Stephen Braimah, LSU)
- Suspension Feeding (Compiled by Jeff Shimeta, Franklin & Marshall College)
- Turbulence Effects on Fish Larvae and Fisheries Recruitment (Compiled by Brian MacKenzie, Danish Institute for Fisheries Research)
- Flow in Terrestrial Plant Canopies (Compiled by Joe Ackerman, UG)
- Turbulence Measurements in Aquatic Environments (Compiled by Brian MacKenzie, Danish Institute for Fisheries Research)
- Vertebrate Locomotion Links (Compiled by Jeremy Rayner, University of Leeds)
- Publications by Joe Ackerman (University of Guelph)
- Publications by Karl Niklas (Cornell University)
- Publications by Jeremy Rayner (University of Leeds)
- Publications by Steven Vogel (Duke Unversity)
We would like to create additional bibliographies on selected topics. Please forward your ideas to Joe Ackerman
Physical Ecology – Related Courses & Curricula Courses
- Comparative Biomechanics (University of Florida)
- Designs for Life (University of Leeds)
- Physical Ecology (University of Northern Britich Columbia)
References on Laboratories/Practicals for Teaching Physical Ecology -Related Materials
- Seed and Fruit Dispersal (Compiled by Peter Minorsky, Western Connecticut State)
- Mechanical Properties of Tissues (Compiled by Joe Ackerman, UNBC)
- Pedagogical Journals:
- American Biology Teacher
- Journal of Biological Education
- American Physics Teacher
Please forward your course WWW and/or references on laboratories and practicals to: Joe Ackerman